Location: Omaha, NE
We are looking for a skilled software engineer to assume a crucial role on our engineering team. This position will work hand-in-hand with our CTO on core projects.
About HTI LabsHTI Labs fights human trafficking, sexual violence, and domestic violence by creating sustainable, data-driven research and technology in collaboration with community partners.
Everything we do works toward two goals.
1. Develop the infrastructure for automated, ongoing data collection for prevalence estimates, trends, research, and evaluation. Many different entities track some facet of domestic and sexual violence, but to date it has been unclear whether and how these efforts come together to create a complete picture. We seek to systematically address this by:
- Linking existing data on known cases. We integrate agency systems to produce reliable aggregate data tracking incidents through the criminal justice system & onto services.
- Measuring & creating data on what we don’t know. Not everyone who experiences sexual violence reports the experience. We create data that doesn’t yet exist to help identify the victim population we’re not seeing.
2. Build sustainable solutions to identify victims and hold perpetrators accountable. Front-line efforts hit the same walls over and over again – unless victims come forward with a smoking gun, you are often left with a “he said / she said” situation. There are many ways that technology can be leveraged to break through those walls and to assist survivors, whether or not they decide to interact with the criminal justice system.
- Building a better investigative model. We work with law enforcement to leverage forensic and digital evidence in order to shift the burden away from victims.
- Creating more effective victim identification, response, & support. We work on legislation to create protections for victims as they interact with the system and develop software to facilitate and develop better community-wide processes.
We work to make data gathering processes more efficient, to link data to create a holistic picture of the system, and to build tools that make data useful to community partners fighting sexual violence on the front lines. Whether building natural language processing systems that allow us to interpret open-source data, a dashboard to display system-wide data on domestic violence, or frameworks to automatically generate statistics needed for valuable federal grants, HTI Labs builds tools to help connect the dots.
The software engineer will be responsible for:
- Writing the code for the APIs that securely connect external data sources with internal systems
- Creating a fault-tolerant software system that integrates different data sources into a unified format, which is queryable for statistical usage
At the end of the day, we’re looking for an engineer who can build new high-quality software that meets standards and improve existing products along the way. We are a growing company that values rigor, intellectual creativity and collegiality. With demonstrated performance, all employees of HTI Labs have the opportunity to take on significant responsibility.
Skills and QualificationsThe software engineer position requires:
- 3-5+ years of experience…
- Managing, designing, and/or coding software applications
- Working in UNIX-based operating systems
- Excellent knowledge of relational databases and Object-Oriented Programming (OOP)
- Good knowledge of networking concepts, with the comfort to build APIs that are secure and efficient
- Experience using cloud-based systems such as AWS
- Proficiency in software engineering tools such as Jira
- Ability to document requirements and specifications
- Ability to take ownership of, and manage, projects in a fast-paced environment
- Commitment to continuing to grow skills
- Substantive interest in HTI Labs’ areas of work
- Software project management experience
- Experience using MongoDB
- Solid knowledge of operating systems, including multithreading, parallel processing, and memory management
Application:To apply, send a cover letter explaining your interest in and qualifications for the Software Engineer position and a resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Attach the cover letter and resume as separate documents (either word or PDF) named as Lastname_document_role (e.g., Lastname_coverletter_softwareengineer)
- To make sure we see your materials, use the subject line “Software engineer application”
No phone calls, please!